Monday, February 16, 2009

How I Met Your Mother.

This is our recent favorite sitcom, which is funny to say since it's really the only sitcom we have watched in...um, forever, since re-runs of The Cosby Show and Roseanne probably don't count. (See: Future entries.) & I don't really count shows such as The Office or Ugly Betty 'sitcoms.' (See: More future entries.) So I guess I can't really call it our "recent favorite," but more likely "the only one." Kathy started watching it randomly and then became addicted, and then forced ME to become addicted, which is how it works with most things we watch. There are a few reasons for the awesomeness of How I Met Your Mother, the main one being Neil Patrick Harris, aka the grown up Doogie Howser (MD). I would post some amazing photo of him from the show if I wasn't worried about/understood more about copyright law. I am more & more amazed by him & his physical comedy pretty much every episode. Another reason is the couple of Alyson Hannigan and That Guy From Forgetting Sarah Marshall, both of whom I love and whose totally goofy and naive characters on the show seem so perfect together that I have begun to believe that they are real and really are in love. Another pretty good reason is that I think it's funny. Also, there was one episode about Ted being an architect and they played The Decemberists' Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect and I felt almost jealous that I wasn't a screenwriter/TV producer person and couldn't have made that decision because I would have felt really satisfied with myself.

Anyway, basically this is just a show about a really good group of friends, & in thinking about it I've come to realize that all of my favorite shows are just about really good groups of friends. & this one in particular deals with an age category similar to my own, of a group of friends who have at least semi-recently graduated from college and are now dealing with the Real World while still being pretty college-esque, and it makes me think about our very closest friends from Boston, and what it would be like if we all stuck around in the same place and could hang out every night with each other drinking beer at the same bar, & how amazing and hilarious our sitcom would be.

8 comments:

  1. That is my favorite sitcom as well. I don't care if I see anything else all week as long as I get to watch HIMYM. I think that NPH is the absolute best part of the show. He is hilarious. I <3 him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil is the best, I'll watch him in anything and smile the whole time like I'm a close, proud relative. If you didn't see him do SNL in January, you need to watch it online. I need to watch the show more, I forget when it's on...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I really need to see this show. I think I'd love it. And it has Jason Segal! (I just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall the other night... amazing!) He was also in Freaks and Geeks, which should be an entry all by itself if I had anything to say about it.

    If one of our friends ever makes it as a screenwriter, I command them to make me a sitcome character. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it would be hilarious. i'm a fan of HIMYM as well, and started watching it when i began at KYT (back in the day). i also enjoy thie big bang theory, which comes on before. it's nerdy and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jason Segal and Neil Patrick Harris. I don't like the dark-haired actress, she's my least favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love this show. I just started last season so I am enjoying catching up on the beginnings. Lifetime is replaying the first season, plus you can get it for just a few bucks you know where.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loooooooooooooooove this show too! except i am a dork and have only been watching the new episodes on tv. but roar bought me season 1 and 2 on dvd for christmas so i need to catch up from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. allie - oh man, will freaks & geeks be an entry someday, although it's sadly been so long since i watched it i'll have to watch it again before i do so so i can more properly assess its awesomeness.

    everyone else - i love that people are commenting on my blog! yay!

    ReplyDelete