Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lily.


Lily came into our lives what seems like a long time ago now, back from the Animal Rescue League of Boston. She was the first pet Kathy & I got together and she has been with us through lots of great (and not great) things, including following us across the country. She is cute, fat (really fat), loves having her stomach rubbed and laying in the sun. She still likes us a lot even though we adopted a kitten that attacks her regularly and a dog that invades her space. She has also befriended many of our friends, such as Zoe, Meredith, Sam (& Lele...kind of), Keegan & Phil (man, she really liked them), Allie, Jen & Tiffany, etc...and all of this means a lot.

Only here is the thing about Lily: she insists on being fed in the middle of the night, or if not then, the very early morning. Even if we feed her a huge load of food right before bed, she will still start scratching around our heads at 4, 5, 6 am. What she scratches is whatever will make the most noise and be the most impossible for us to ignore. A lot of the times this is the window, sometimes the wall; if I am silly and leave a newspaper I was reading the night before on the ground next to the bed she will for sure tear it to shreds, in a very loud, repetitive way. We have tried to ignore her on our most sleepiest occasions, thinking that for goodness sakes' she'd have to get tired of the charade after awhile and go back to sleep. But she never does. Although I love her with all my heart during the day, in my sleepy middle of the night haze I find myself getting uncharacteristically pissed at her over these episodes. Such as last night, when she woke me up at 4:30am. Scratch, scratch, scratch. So I stumbled out of bed and walked in my cold feet to the kitchen and threw a good amount of food in her bowl and walked back to bed. This is fairly normal, and most of the time I can fall immediately back into unconsciousness. But not only did I have some trouble falling asleep this time, but almost exactly ONE HOUR later, at 5:30, I heard it again - that relentless scratch, scratch, scratch. At which point I yelled something like, "What the %&*# Lily, I fed you one %&*#ing hour ago, what the %&*#!" To which Kathy mumbled from her sleep "Mmm, mmm, yelling, mmm," and Lily said, "Meow!" and ran towards her food bowl. I followed her and irrationally dumped almost her whole day's worth of food in her bowl, saying "Here, have all your %&*#ing food!" and then returned to bed where I kind-of-not-really slept until I had to wake up at 6:30 to get ready for work, at which point I was pretty tired and really cranky. (And by which point Toby had eaten the rest of her food.)

On my way home from work, much later, when I was feeling still pretty tired but much, much less cranky, I started thinking about my temper tantrum and started to feel a little guilty about it. It's really annoying, but Kathy & I have tried to stop it but can't. The gal just needs to eat sometimes, and as her owner, I have to suck it up. Because in the long run, a few nights of not-the-greatest sleep are worth it for someone who will play with you when you're feeling silly and will cuddle with you when you're feeling sad. & Lily, of all our animals, knows when we're feeling sad the most. And so I'm sorry, Lily, because I like you. I like you a lot.

5 comments:

  1. awww...i'm excited to meet lily this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute, can't even take it. also you forgot to add how she'll jump on my bedside table and slowly knock each item on there to the ground until i wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you also forgot to mention how she is always sleepy and lazy except for like 2 seconds when she chases the lazer beam- that is an extremely wonderful quality. also, that picture is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. these things seem even cuter when it's not my cat and I'm not the one getting up in the middle of the night. I think it's so adorable when a cat systimatically knocks things off tables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Lily! I want her and Simon to meet and become friends. It will happen someday.

    ReplyDelete