Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Cat's Meow.


The Cat's Meow is going out of business and we are devastated. When we came to visit Zoe way back when and walked down Hawthorne for the first time, it was one of the first stores we went into, and it remains one of our favorite stores in Portland. Who wouldn't want to go into a store completely full of crap for/about cats? There was some good stuff in there, including two really fluffy cats whose picture I actually saw in the paper today in an article about it, where I learned they're sisters, Sterling & Willow. They were cute. And really fluffy. A large majority of the things in the store were useless crap - cat tshirts, cat mugs, cat ornaments, cat pillows, etc but it was fun crap. And stores full of useless but fun crap are what make America great. The Cat's Meow was a landmark of Portland to me, and it's just one of a number of small business on Hawthorne which have shut down just in the two years I've been here, largely due to increasing rent on the ever-hip and popular street. Like that deli across the street from the Cat's Meow where I had one super delicious sandwich, which is now replaced by another chain store. I mean, I love going to the Coldstone Creamery on Hawthorne, but I could also go to Coldstone Creamery at a hundred other locations. The Cat's Meow? Only on Hawthorne.

I know there are complex things going on with the economy which I will never be able to understand, no matter how much I read about it. Stocks, huge insurance companies on Wall Street, bailouts, etc...but to me, stores like this shutting down after 23 years stinks the most. There's probably a more eloquent way to say that, but for now, I'm sticking with that. It really, really stinks.

1 comment:

  1. i hope you went in there and bought some kitty crap! you can never have too many kitty mugs!

    ReplyDelete