Thursday, April 9, 2009

Gossip Girl.

This is the best guilty pleasure I have ever had. We just finished the first season on DVD and I cannot tell you how much I loved it. There's sex, there's drugs, there's lots of bitchiness, lots of really bad parenting, fashion, really attractive people, and class wars! What else do you need? This show is excellent at creating characters you really, really hate one moment and really, really like the next. I tend to enjoy characters such as these - if they evoke such strong feelings of dislike/like on a consistent basis, the writers must be doing something right. The show is also completely made by Kristen Bell's voiceovers as Gossip Girl, in which she always says really ridiculous things, and which said by anyone else would make the whole show silly and ridiculous (okay, it's those things anyway) but said by her, just makes it amazing. Her sassiness and the smart, sharp writing brings a little bit of Veronica Mars back into my life, a show which is on my list of Shows Which Were Much Beloved by Critics and Zealous Fans Yet Were Inexplicably Cancelled, and I can always use a little bit of Veronica Mars in my life. Except as opposed to Veronica Mars, which was very California, Gossip Girl takes place on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. I feel this is also an important key to the show; NYC makes it more gritty and fascinating somehow, whereas if all this upper class bitchiness were happening in Beverly Hills it would probably just be somewhat typical and boring. I found the sequence of events in the last episode of the first season exceedingly frustrating, just as I found Jenny's storyline throughout most of the season exceedingly frustrating, but that is, of course, how they reel you in. Curse you, Gossip Girl, I need to know what happens next!

You know you love me.
XOXO,
Gossip Girl.

(This makes us giggle everytime.)

3 comments:

  1. jill and i were discussing how she should do the gossip girl voiceovers, and how whenever there was a twist in the show, she'd say "wait, what?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha @ kathy's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO HAPPY that another smart person loves this show as much as I do. I was feeling really guilty for a while about it. I am desperate for the second season to come out on DVD. It's like my heroin.

    ReplyDelete