Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Brookline Booksmith.

I've talked about a lot of things I like on this blog so far, but the truth is, other than Kathy, my family, traveling, and ice cream, there is nothing I like more than a good bookstore. Being in a good bookstore makes me feel happy and calm in such a deep down way that I like being in them even when I have no intention of buying a book, even when I have a huge stack of books waiting to be read at home and $0 in my bank account. I like just being there, just looking at stacks of books, being around other people looking at stacks of books. I can't describe it! There is only one thing that can make a bookstore bad, which is extreme pretentiousness, such as the random one we went to in San Francisco once who rudely kicked out Kathy and I when Kathy (quietly) answered her cell phone. Man, San Francisco was wonderful and all, but some people there really need to get off their high horse.

Anyways, I know this will be sacrilegious of me since I now live in Powell's country, the largest bookstore in the country, the bookstore everyone here loves to love. And I love it too! But no matter how big and wonderful it is, I don't think I'll ever love a bookstore more than Brookline Booksmith in Coolidge Corner in Brookline, Massachusetts. Booksmith is like a tenth the size of Powell's, if that, but I loved being there. I loved their sale book tables up front, the wall of fiction on the right, and the amazing gift section to the left, full of amazing jewelry and mugs and cards and an assortment of charming crap. Their children/young adult section always seemed to be lacking a little, but maybe that's just me, and that's the only slightly bad thing I can think of. Maybe the truth is that I just loved Coolidge Corner in general, and Brookline Booksmith was like the capstone of the neighborhood to me. Being there made me feel really Brookline-y, like I could one day live this really New England life and fill the big dark bookshelves I would own one day in my spacious personal library with books bought from there while sipping hot cider, or something. When I think about the fact that I will probably never live in Boston again, one of the things I'm immediately saddest about is not being able to call this place my own anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Aw--but you can always visit! Obviously, I love the Booksmith as well. It will always be near and dear to my heart, no matter where I'm living.

    ReplyDelete