Monday, December 14, 2009

Judy Garland singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in Meet Me in St. Louis.



Kathy and I watched Meet Me in St. Louis today and when it comes to this part, gee whiz, it is just. The. Most. Beautiful. And. Sad. Thing. Ever. If you can watch this scene and not cry and cry, or at least want to cry and cry, then you are a bad human being. Yeah, I said it. As I'm writing this I'm listening to it over and over and just feeling weepy. And then Tootie runs downstairs crying and knocks down all those beautiful snowmen she made which are obviously not made of real snow because she is so upset about going to New York! Gah! THEY LOVE ST. LOUIS SO MUCH.

Sad Christmas songs also always makes me think of Mr. Buehler, my first real employer, who is now sadly no longer with us. I worked on the very small family resort he and his wife owned and it was all very idyllic and old-time-y but I was miserable there because I was so angsty. Mr. and Mrs. Buehler were the type of old couple where the wife is really mean and stressed out all the time but the husband is quiet and cheerful and smiles a lot, and he was pretty much the one thing I liked there, other than the family dog and the horses and the broccoli salad, which was awesome. Since the resort was only open during the summer I'm not sure how Christmas music got brought up, but I remember so clearly Mr. Buehler telling me about I'll Be Home For Christmas, and how when he was in Europe in World War II all of his fellow soldiers and he would listen to it and just cry like little babies. Which to this day is pretty much one of the saddest things I have ever heard.

It occurs to me that writing about things that make you cry is a strange thing to write about in a blog about things I like, but I do like the things about Christmas that make me cry each year because along with the cookies and the presents and everything they are the best part about it! For they are those comforting, sentimental kind of tears that make you appreciate your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment