Tuesday, January 26, 2010

This.



"All I ask is one thing, especially to the young people who watch. Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. For the record it's my least favorite quality; it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen."

His consistent sincerity/gratitude/classiness/passion/goodness makes me feel better about everything. About a job I may not enjoy that much at times, about living paycheck to paycheck and being in tremendous debt, about a growing number of people I used to know well who may have become too cool for me and bombard their Twitter/Facebook with critical and judgmental thoughts. (Although I have been pondering this latter sentiment quite a bit in general recently, in particular, I have been irked by sarcastic comments about Conan and this speech, like the popularity of his demise with NBC on the internet by a bunch of white kids deserves the scorn/sarcasm by another bunch of white kids on the internet, because anything that is popular must be stupid and annoying, leaving little room for there to be any community-wide heart-felt emotion by anybody without ridicule.) Yes, there are places like Haiti that are in ruins, and other places around the world who have been in ruins for decades (Somalia, Afghanistan), as Conan pointed out throughout his entire last week, I might add. That doesn't change the need to work hard and be kind and to have hope about the future, and it doesn't change anyone's need to hear it, because we always need to hear it, over and over.

2 comments: