Thursday, March 11, 2010

Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010.

Okay, so listen, I KNOW I am like twenty years behind on this, and no one cares anymore. In fact this is how the Olympics work: no one cares that much the second after the closing ceremony ends (and it was a pretty excruciatingly long ceremony this time: big plus for Michael J. Fox and Alanis Morisette, big minus for Avril Lavigne singing two horribly performed songs along with a plethora of other not-Olympic-worthy musicians), and no one (other than Olympians) really cares about the Olympics right up until the moment the opening ceremony begins. At which point everyone suddenly cares a lot. I don't know what it is - even with me, when I KNOW these types of things make me irrationally emotional and excited, all I kept hearing about in the weeks up to Vancouver was how much money NBC was gonna lose, and how overall no one cares that much about the Olympics anymore, etc. etc., and I was like, eh, probably right. Shrug. And then it starts and BOOM. Me, glued to the TV for two weeks, keeping track of these random sports I only watch every four years like it is my job, and crying every other medal ceremony. The Olympics = a big weird weepfest for Jill.

But even though I know it's been over for awhile and people have moved on, I have been too busy with life to even contemplate the existence of this blog, and now that I'm back, I want to commemorate my favorite bits from Vancouver just so I don't forget.
  • Shaun White. Okay so this guy blows my mind. And it wasn't just his tripledeckersomethingorotherIamsofreakingawesome move he made up that everyone was freaking out about, which looked more or less like all the other ridiculous moves snowboarders make, all of which my brain doesn't comprehend. It was just seeing how high he can propel himself into the air somehow, so much higher than anyone else in the world. Like, terrifyingly high.
  • That Russian ice skating dude being such a little crybaby over getting silver, and then that American ice skating dude with the silvery snake around his neck who got gold being so darn classy about it. Even Bob Costas seemed to disbelieve how classy he could be.
  • Bob Costas. Who I believe has halfway morphed into Dick Clark in the weirdly-never-aging category.
  • Joannie Rochette, the Canadian ice skater whose mother died a few days before she won the silver medal. So this is what happened: Kathy and I turn on the TV in the middle of her first performance. We're like, yeah, that was pretty good. And then when she's done she is CRYING and heaving and the crowd is SO LOUD in their applause and Scott Hamilton and That Other Ice Skating Lady Commentator are stunned into silence until That Other Ice Skating Lady Commentator is all, "She has given us a GIFT tonight," and we are beginning to kind of be like, what the heck, I mean it was pretty good but REALLY, and then eventually we hear that her mom just died. And we were like, oh. On another note, she carried the Canadian flag into the closing ceremony and they showed this clip of her where there was this swarm of drunken Olympians waiting in line to get their picture with her, one after the other after the other, and as much as I love me a good drunken Olympian, she just looked miserable. She had the most forced smile I may have ever seen, and you could just hear her face saying: Okay, I did my thing. I'm done now. Let me be. Okay.
  • Mary Carillo and her host-country-snapshot pieces. Kathy and I have been in LOVE with this lady since Beijing. True story. You can tell me about mounties and sled dogs every day of the year, Mary Carillo.
  • Stephen Colbert.
  • Alright, I just want to say that almost all of the things all these crazy people do on skis is absolutely terrifying.
  • THAT MUSIC, all while panning over those white capped mountains! So glorious! So dramatic! So ridiculously awesome! I love you, Olympic theme music!
  • That really long segment I watched about the anniversary of the Miracle on Ice, which I knew nothing about before, which made Kathy pretty disgusted with me, but which made me cry like a little baby. And then, when I realized that all of it was really just about hating Russians, made me feel slightly uncomfortable.
  • And I think that's it.
Also, I just want to note that when I really sit down and think about what the Olympics is, the fact that it is the ONE THING in the entire world that (almost) everyone in the entire world agrees is a good thing, agrees that they will come to and all be joyous and celebratory together at, and that it is just about wanting to be really good at something and making your country proud - that's it! It's simple!...After a few years now of being a newspaper subscriber and reading the World News section every week and learning about how many terrifying and awful things everyone in the world does to each other every day - well, I don't know. I don't even know what to say about it. It is too big, too good and big.

See you in London, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. it's real bad, when you find yourself in the middle of directing a newscast and realize that you are humming the Olympic theme....

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post Jill! I love the Olympics so much, and am so bummed that I couldn't watch them. So between this post and Colbert, I feel like I know all the best things that happened.

    ReplyDelete