Thursday, November 25, 2010

Corn casserole.


Happy Thanksgiving, all! Hope everyone has been able to enjoy a relaxing, good-people, good-food filled day. Even though my family is way far away and I can't participate in any of their feasts, including my mom's famous extensive pie making, we've always been able to enjoy our West Coast holidays with good friends. We just arrived home from stuffing our faces at Erin & Grey's, and since I have to wake up early tomorrow to work, all I can really think about right now is plopping into bed, pronto.

But I feel like over the last year and a half that I've had this blog I've kind of glossed over some of my favorite things about the holidays, probably because I am always too busy and exhausted (in the best way) on the actual holidays to write. So I'm going to start now, with a small step, and tell you about how much I freaking love corn casserole. Although nothing can beat holidays with my family, I do have to say that perhaps the best part of going through some holidays on our own is getting some experience cooking some feasts myself. Granted, corn casserole, and green bean casserole, as pictured above, are two of THE most easiest things in the world to make, but they are always SO DELICIOUS. So much so we've made both for both Thanksgiving and Easter the last few years we've been out here.

While there are probably some variations on the good ol' corn casserole out there in the world, I've been using a recipe I printed from the Food Network website a few years ago, from Miss Paula Deen. Say what you want about her, but when it comes to overwhelmingly unhealthy, down home hearty cooking, her recipes are exactly what I want at the holidays.

Ingredients:
1 (15 1/4 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, Jiffy, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish. [This is what the recipe says, but after using different pans, I find that a square, 8x8-ish dish works the best--since the bulk of the casserole isn't as spread out it stays a little gooey-er in a good way.]
- Bake 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with cheddar. [I am very generous with this part.] Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

So to summarize: A bunch of corn, a bunch of cheese, some melted butter, some sour cream, some Jiffy? Sounds like a perfect, purely American dish to me. I could eat it until I'm sick. And I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment