Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Better Son/Daughter, Rilo Kiley.



This song, this song, this song! I am obsessed with every part of it. The lyrics, the set up, the crashing crescendo of the point everybody waits for -

And sometimes when you're on
You're really fucking on
And your friends they sing along and they love you

But the lows are so extreme
That the good seems fucking cheap
And it teases you for weeks in its absence

But you'll fight and you'll make it through
You'll fake it if you have to
And you'll show up for work with a smiiiiiile

You'll be better and you'll be smarter
And more grown up
And a better daughter or son
And a real good friend
You'll be awake, you'll be alert
You'll be positive though it hurts
And you'll laugh and embrace all your friiiiiiiieeeeeends
You'll be a real good listener
You'll be honest, you'll be brave
You'll be handsome and you will be
beautiful.
You'll be happy.

Doo doo dooo doooo do do doooo do do do guitar solo doo do do
do dooooo ba ba ba ba bum

Your ship may be coming in
You're weak but not giving in
to the cries and the wails of the valley below
Your ship may be coming in
You're weak but not giving in
And you'll fight it
You'll go out fighting all of 'em.

And yes, I had to write all of the rest of the lyrics once I started, because you CAN'T STOP SINGING ALONG ONCE YOU START with this song. It would be hard to convince me that any song exists which is more satisfying to sing along to than this one. I listen to it often when I'm working out/running, and I sing along in my head and picture myself singing it at a karaoke bar with everyone in the world I know in the room and I am SO TRIUMPHANT AND BADASS, JUST LIKE JENNY LEWIS.

Beyond that, the lyrics can be somewhat ambivalent--it seems so encouraging, yet there's that the whole "the lows are so extreme that the good seems fucking cheap" line, I mean, that's somewhat pessimistic there, Jenny--but overall as the song builds I feel like the triumphant, positive, I AM OKAY AND I WILL BE OKAY vibe conquers all. Anyone who has ever felt like they weren't as good of a daughter or a son as their parents wanted them to be, and/or that they needed to be better, smarter, grow up--this song takes you by the hand and says, Take strength and be joyful, my friend! We are all in this together, and we will fight, fight, fight.

And "sometimes when you're on you're really fucking on"? How good is that?! Who hasn't felt that? This song is so freaking wonderful.

And yes, this video is a fan video made for Logan Echolls on Veronica Mars, because that is how Kathy and I first heard the song years ago, and yes that does make us super cool, and yes it is an amazing fan video, and Logan Echolls is one of the best TV characters ever with such a bittersweetly short TV life, but I suppose that's getting a little off the point.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA I LOVE THAT YOU POSTED THE VIDEO WITH IT <3<3<3

    also, why are you trying to bring our cool factor down, jill? WE'VE KNOWN ABOUT THIS SONG EVER SINCE IT WAS RELEASED, OBVIOUSLY!

    and you'll effing embrace all your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also any song with a slash in the title is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! This is my favorite Rilo Kiley song, hands down.

    ReplyDelete