Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tastykake.

My sister sent me this extremely upsetting article earlier this week, explaining that Tastykake might sell or merge with another company due to financial woes. Woe is right. I understand that in the business world, selling and/or merging doesn't necessarily mean your product will disappear from the shelves. But even if they didn't, the loss of a token eastern Pennsylvania company is sad, and if they DID, it would be a TRAGEDY. I grew up on Butterscotch Krimpets and Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes. (Which, sadly, you can't find here on the West Coast.) I think they make some other crap, but these two are the only two that matter. The Butterscotch Krimpets are the most iconic product of The Tastykake, and I think one of the reasons I felt particularly attached to Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (a Pennsylvania author) is because Maniac talked about how he'd eat these and the butterscotch icing would get stuck to the plastic wrapper--WHICH IT ALWAYS DID--so he'd scrape it off with his teeth, which I ALWAYS DID.

But the Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes were my favorite--two round globs of perfection on a piece of white cardboard wrapped in cellophane. Milk chocolate and the perfect amount of peanut butter on top of that light, airy cake of nothingness--melt in your mouth childhood nostalgia.

I even (kind of) forgive your horribly annoying incorrect overuse of the letter K, Tastykake. And that's saying a lot. So stay strong. I don't want a world without Kandy Kakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment