Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Random hits from the playlist at work.

I am often surprised at how much I want to talk about the music at work. This may be because it's the only thing really worth talking about from my work. Or maybe it's because Starbucks music (sometimes) actually speaks my brain and soul. BUT OMG HOW EMBARRASSING IS ADMITTING THAT?! CORPORATE COFFE MUSIC BRAIN. Blech. Or maybe it's because I often compose blog entries in my head to myself when I'm at work to keep myself entertained and when I hear the same songs ten times in a night they sneak their way in? Anyway.

The most important musical event of my life recently has been Ceremonials, but to talk about that would involve serious and honest emotional thought. But the music that's been playing at work recently literally seems like it was ripped from my Napster and/or my Kazaa from my freshman year of college. And talking about that is just funny, so I'm going to do that.

Seriously. It is like, hit after random hit, someone stole my computer from the 8th floor of the LB. I didn't make many true friends freshman year of college, so to fill my time when it was too cold to wander aimlessly around the city, I downloaded a LOT of songs. Here are some quick examples, playing now at a Starbucks near you.


Greek Song, Rufus Wainwright. I always loved this song just because I really loved singing the line, "When I get back, I will dream in Barnes and Nobles." Geez, writing this has really made aware of my corporate whoredom.


Central Reservation, Beth Orton. I was sitting alone in my dorm room downloading Beth Orton songs, and it would still be like, two years until Kathy made me realize I was a lesbian. Shocking, really. Napster had known for months.


Birds Fly, Icicle Works. Uh, okay, this is just random. But I swear it's playing at work, and I swear it was on my Napster. I just really like this song, okay? It's weird. I think I first heard of it when it was mentioned in a Hanson fanfic, true story. Oh my god, everything in my life is imploding in on itself.


Delicate, Damien Rice. Oh bloody hell, Damien Rice. There are actually a few Damien Rice tunes on the rotation at work, which is fine because I listened to O like it was crack the first two years of college. And by crack, I mean the kind of crack that makes you want to curl into a little ball and never move, just feel sad about everything forever. A few years later, when I somehow felt I was cool enough to talk about music with Keegan, who likes cool music, I downplayed my love of Damien Rice because Keegan thought he was over dramatic. But I'm not cool anymore and I'm not fooling myself; I will always be blindly in love with the over dramatic. So make those strings swell, Damien! WHY'D YOU SING HALLELUJAH IF IT MEANS NOTHING TO YOU?! RIGHT?!?! WHY'D YOU SING WITH ME AT ALL, JERKFACE?! OMG WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN LET'S GO TO IRELAND AND SIT BY THE OCEAN DAMIEN.


Okay, and then there's this collection of tunes that actually weren't on my Napster/Kazaa freshman year in Boston, but are in a distinct category of Female Songstress Emotional Times.


Keep Breathing, Ingrid Michaelson. Oh dear, oh dear, you are a pretty one Ingrid, let me weep as I make pumpkin spice lattes, thanks a lot.


On the Radio, Regina Spektor. So this is a happy sounding song; let's be honest, it's probably one of Regina's most upbeat. But I like it and the lyrics so much that sometimes it makes me teary anyway. What? I don't know. I also have a hard time not singing along to the "on the RAD-EE-OH! (oh oh!)" joyful sounding refrain at the end of the song, so I normally sing it under my breath. "Here's your chai! (OH OH!)" Also, YOU SHOULD WATCH THIS VIDEO BECAUSE IT IS TRULY AWESOME. Oh, creative people on the Internets, after I get over my feelings of inadequacy you first make me feel, you then make me feel so happy about the world!


Breathe Me, Sia. OH REALLY STARBUCKS? REALLY? JUST STOP IT. Remember that time Kathy and I played this as we drove away from Boston on our way to Oregon on the Masspike and we cried and cried as we drove under that weird Shaws that hangs over the highway and thought about all the awesome people and times and memories we were leaving? I do. And maybe you do too because we talk about it a lot. Also, the official video is truly remarkably cool so you should watch it, I just can't embed it.

Also, wait, wait, this horribly punctuated video just made me aware--ARE THE LYRICS ACTUALLY "UNFOLD ME"? I MEAN I GUESS THAT MAKES MORE SENSE WITH THE IMAGERY OF THE SONG AND STUFF. But ever since I heard this song I heard "I'M FOR ME." LIKE THAT GUSTER SONG BUT A LOT MORE DREAMY AND WHIMSICAL AND WITH LESS ACOUSTIC GUITARS AND DUDES. WHAT. DEVASTATED. OKAY WHATEVER, IT WILL ALWAYS BE "I'M FOR ME" FOR ME. And for Claire Fisher. She's for herself, too. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment