Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reading Recap 2011.

I am in slight denial that it's already 2012--like full on, two weeks into 2012--when I haven't even finished all of my sentimental end-of-2011 crap I had planned on doing! So I will just pretend it's still December and proceed with my OVER-ANALYZATION OF A YEAR for the rest of the month. Yay! AND if it's still December, that means I get to do that awesome vacation that happened at the end of December AGAIN! YAYYYYY life is wonderful! 

Last year I did a reading re-cap for the year, and it was interesting to do it again this year and compare notes from year to year.

Total Books Read: 53
Within those:
Children's or Young Adult Fiction: 44
(GLBT themed literature included in those: 3)
Picture books: 1
"Adult" books: 7
"Classics": 5
Graphic novels: 11
Nonfiction: 4 
Some of my favorites:


- The Amulet series graphic novels, Kazu Kibuishi [My students last year LOVED this series; I had a waiting list of kids wanting to borrow my copies. I loved them, too.]


- Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf [I had never read it before--I know, I know. Loved it.] My other favorite "classic" I read was My Antonia, Willa Cather. So basically, a bunch of lesbianic old ladies all up in here. Not shocking.

- Rapunzel's Revenge, Shannon Hale

- The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Brian Selznick


- The Help, Kathryn Stockett [The "it" book of the last two years, but I still loved it & all of its characters, a ton.]

- Almost Perfect, Brian Katcher

- Debbie Harry Sings in French, Meagan Brothers


- Graceling, Kristin Cashore [If you like Katniss, you will like Katsa. And OMG THE SEXUAL TENSION BETWEEN KATSA AND PO WAS SOME OF THE MOST INTENSE SEXUAL TENSION I HAVE EVER READ IN A YOUNG ADULT FANTASY. I MEAN THEIR FAVORITE THING TO DO WAS TO PRACTICE TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER, VIOLENTLY, EVERY DAY. COME ON NOW.]


- Jasper Jones, Craig Silvey. [Those Aussies know how to do creepy-yet-funny-and-also-sad so well. Also, I've seen a few different versions of the cover online, but this one is obviously the best one. Those roots--it is the perfect lead in to that haunting grove. Who wouldn't want to read a book with this cover?]

- Anya's Ghost, Vera Brosgol

- Okay For Now, Gary D. Schmidt [I LOVE GARY D. SCHMIDT SO MUCH.]

- Flesh & Blood So Cheap, Albert Marrin [I read a few great children's non-fiction this year, but this one was hands-down the best. I was riveted the entire time.]

& even though it was a re-read, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton played a big role in my life for the first half of the year since I spent two months reading it with a bunch of 7th graders and THEY LOVED IT (I mean, who wouldn't love a good rumble) and it was definitely my most rewarding teaching experience. So thank you, Miss Hinton.

Overall, I actually read less books than I did last year, but there was SLIGHTLY more variety--although I know 44 out of 53 books being children's or YA probably doesn't seem like "variety." But come on, five classics, that's not bad!

2012, I have a feeling you are going to be my best reading year yet. You and me, books. Let's snuggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment