Monday, May 14, 2012

5 Random Songs: Part III.

To be honest, there are so many random songs I love recently that I feel I might burst, which is the best reason to feel like bursting, but I'm only choosing five so that my excessive YouTube embedding doesn't crash your computer. You're welcome.


1) Gold Guns Girls, Metric

I don't wanna bend
Like the bad girls bend
I just wanna be your friend
Is it ever gonna be enough?

Right, so I am way behind the times with Metric. I've heard their songs a ton on the great rock station here in Portland, and every time I say, "Huh, I like this song," but only recently did I take the step of actually remembering to download some of their stuff, completing that oh-so-important step of taking a song you heard and liked and making it feel like it's Yours. 

I debated between including this or their other single from this album, Help I'm Alive, but Gold Guns Girls makes me feel more, "Let's turn this up loud and kick ass!," and I always need more of that feeling in my life, so.



2) Little Talks, Of Monsters and Men

My friend Amy included this on a mix CD for me and I thought it was so great and fun and I had never heard of it before. And then I immediately started hearing it EVERYWHERE. So basically, you have probably heard it at this point too, but I still gave Amy credit for knowing all the cool stuff first.

This is just such a feel-good song, plain and simple, one you want to turn up loud in the car and bounce around to while you drive with the windows down. Also, they are Icelandic and adorable, so, how can you really go wrong? The video I'm including for this one is an acoustic KEXP version, so you can see how adorable they are, and also because I don't think I've ever watched a video from KEXP that isn't awesome.


3) Breath of Life, Florence + The Machine

A couple of blog posts ago, I mentioned a bunch of great new songs from great ladies that were all released in a slew of awesomeness recently, and really I want to mention all of them again in this list. But in the end, a super dramatic Florence song complete with an intense backing choir and lots of great BOOM BOOM BOOM drumbeats always wins.

Sigh. Florence, in my head I am as crazy and Full Of All The Things as you are brave enough to be out loud.


4) Pursuit of Happiness, Lissie

My complete obsession with this live Kid Cudi cover is also due to Amy. (Word up to Amy!) I can't really count how many times I've listened to this song at top volume in the last month?

Also, listen, this song confirms to me how powerful covers can be, sometimes. I mean, anyone who's heard Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah or countless other masterpieces already knows this fact, but still. The original Kid Cudi version is like, a slow jam? Whereas this version is full of...so much, to me, anger and desperation and empowerment and other things I can't describe. All I know is that yelling along to, "I'll be fiiiiiiiine! And I'll be gooooooooood!" makes me feel things I very much want to feel, lately.


5) Myth, Beach House

It's just like...how are All of The People and All of The Bands coming out with new stuff that is just all so good, lately? Thank you, Music Gods! You're my favorite Gods! 

While Teen Dream has been off my heavy-rotation list for quite a while now, hearing this new track practically punched me in the stomach and made me remember why I did have it in such heavy-rotation for so long. Myth is just so wonderfully Beach House-y, and thank goodness for it. It makes me want to lie under an ocean of blankets listening to it forever, not because I'm sad but just because I want to listen and float in a dreamy, floaty place for a while. Who doesn't want to disappear in dreamy, floaty places, at least sometimes, just for a bit?


I just want to give you a big hug lately, Music. Thanks for helpin' me out. You're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment