Monday, December 31, 2012

2012.

This is a year-in-review-via-lists thing I used to do on my LiveJournal every year that I want to do again. LiveJournal! Every year! Seriously people, I never let go of ANYTHING!

Best Concerts of 2012:
Okay, maybe I wanted to do this again because I remembered this is always how I started it off, and we didn't really go to ANY concerts this year and what the hell is up with that, right?

Well, this month I splurged and made us go to a Christmas concert with a gospel choir and the Oregon Symphony, which was badass. So at least I have that to show for myself.

Albums I listened to the most in 2012:
- Lungs, Florence and the Machine
- Electra Heart, Marina & the Diamonds
- The Family Jewels, Marina & the Diamonds

And look, that was really the bulk of it. My lists from previous years were normally three times this size. Reasons for revisiting this are becoming more and more apparent.

Songs I listened to most in 2012:
- Rivers & Roads, the Head & the Heart
- Pursuit of Happiness (Kid Cudi cover), Lissie
- Mr. November, the National
- Devil Town, Bright Eyes
- All the Rowboats, Regina Spektor
- Emmylou & The Lion's Roar, First Aid Kit
- Same Love, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Help I'm Alive & Gold Guns Girls, Metric
- Sweet Nothing, Calvin Harris f. Florence Welch
- Alas I Cannot Swim, Laura Marling

Also, I'm just gonna say it, I really liked that Phillip Phillips "Home" song that they overplayed at the Olympics, and I enjoy the new "Some Nights" Fun. song a lot, and yes, I listened to "Somebody That I Used to Know" too many times until I suddenly didn't want to anymore.

Best Movies of 2012:
- The Avengers
- Hunger Games
- Beasts of the Southern Wild ("In a million years, when kids go to school, they gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy, and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub.")
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Les Miserables

Best TV of 2012:
- Parenthood
- Parks & Rec
- Doctor Who
- R&B Divas (Most under-appreciated reality show of the century, okay)
- The Good Wife
- Happy Endings

The Most Upsetting Thing of 2012:
- See previous entry. Syria also continues to be awful, and Israel made me real mad, although it's sad that that isn't really new.

The Best Thing That Made Me Hopeful For Humanity & Politics:
- Everything that happened around the election. What a good night for life.

The Best Things I Did in 2012:
- Quit Target/Starbucks, kicking off almost a full year of, for the first time, only doing things I care about.
- Books 2 U: another library volunteer program I started working with; requires brief but intense bouts of work and bursts of nerves every other month before a presentation, yet it's one of my favorite things I've ever done.
- Was taught to doubt myself and then taught myself to stop it and like myself again.
- Wrote for AfterEllen, a lot.
- As a consequence of the above, befriended some of my favorite authors, and when I say befriended I mean "they followed me on Twitter," so take that as you will.
- Kept a working connection with the middle school I care about most.
- Befriended a lot of good people; in particular, Amy, new remarkable and supportive AE writing friends, Steph, and a reaffirmation of the awesomeness of Manda and Cat, among many other good, old friends. That wasn't a very coherent sentence but it's OK; it's all good stuff and good stuff doesn't always have to be eloquent.
- Spent time in an actual darkroom for the first time since 2006. Amazing.
- You know, got married and stuff, which if I do say so myself, was fucking awesome.

The Absolute Most Fun:
- Getting to hold my cousin's baby Kee in the hospital after she was born, and watching her grow throughout the year. Getting to meet my first ever nephew, and my other cousin's baby. 'Twas the Year of Babies I Actually Care About.
- A much needed brief solo day trip to Seattle for lunch with Ashley & hanging out with my dad
- Trips to Eugene in continued celebration of the return of Kim & Cliff to Oregon, including another Thanksgiving together
- Finally getting to take my mom to the tulip festival in Woodburn
- Watching Kathy graduate
- Summer visit from Manda
- That weekend with Ashley & Jennie
- Trivia Thursdays at Bare Bones, Team DTMFA
- Enjoying another lucky year sans any health problems for my children. I mean, our animals.
- Best random visits with Meredith, including Baby's First Zebra Cakes and the Tardis Room
- Speaking of the Tardis Room, mentioning "watching Doctor Who" in this list when I've already mentioned it in the TV section would be over-the-top geek, right?
- Watching Doctor Who
- The wedding thing again, including our extremely successful Portland Love Ceremony and the weekend in NYC before the Boston ceremony; our 'bachelorette' party the night before; the day of Boston Honeymooning the Monday after.
- Sam and Steve's wedding in Pittsburgh!
- Kim & Johnny's wedding in Martinsville! BBQ in Charlotte!
- Sara and Dave's wedding in Philly!
- A Friends Christmas with Zoe & Kim & Cliff 

States I Spent Time in in 2012:
- Oregon
- Washington
- Massachusetts
- New York
- Virginia
- North Carolina
- Pennsylvania

Things I spent too much money on:
- Taco Bell
- ice cream
- beer
- gas

(This list is the exact same as it was last time I did this with the exception of gas, since I really drove more this year when I could have biked. Bad Portland lesbian. And so we're clear, I don't really regret any of the beer or ice cream.)

Best Books I Read:
- Scratch this one; I've been doing a much more in-depth reading roundup the last few years with the help of Goodreads, which I'll complete soon. #NERD

Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2013:
Last year, I made a drawn out resolutions post in January full of emo pictures of myself, because I was feeling particularly 1) self-reflective, or 2) temporarily full of myself. Still can't decide on which one. In either case, this year I've made a list of really boring, typical resolutions that I'm actually super duper pumped about but which are literally too mundane to even mention. But really: super duper pumped.

2013 also marks the first year in a long, long time that we don't have a gajillion weddings of family members or close friends already lined up, or family members about to pop out babies, which all feels a little strange, although I already have a feeling some of this will change as the year progresses. Regardless, these are some other fun things that will happen:
- Another visit from Manda, very very soon
- Reunion for my study abroad group from college in NEW ORLEANS, organized by the amazing Erin, another cool-people-re-connection which was also a 2012 highlight.

Things That I Really Want to Happen But Who Knows:
- A small honeymoon-ish trip since we never really took one, to San Francisco
- LEAKYCON
- Start a serious savings for New York
- Start getting serious about selling photographs.

There will inevitably be things I missed. But in the end, 2012 ended up being pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment