Sunday, January 6, 2013

Reading Recap 2012.

A few days late, but courtesy of the convenience of Goodreads, here's my reading recap for 2012. For comparison, which I always find interesting, I included my results from last year in italics, with the data from this year in bold.

Total Books Read: (53) 54

Holy crap! I totally felt like I spent a lot of time reading this year, but alas, I only read ONE more book than I did last year. Maybe this proves I have a wall, or something. I will break you this year, wall! (Maybe.)

Within those books:

- Children's or Young Adult Fiction: (44) 34. Huh.

- Picture Books: (1) 0. You might think it's weird, but I am actually quite sad about this. Note to self: read more picture books this year!

- Queer Lit (YA or adult): (3) 30. Whoa. I turned SUPER GAY.

- "Adult" Books: (7) 10. I became SLIGHTLY more of an adult! (Slightly.)

- Graphic Novels (YA or adult): (11) 11. This number needs to grow.

- "Classics": (5) 2. This number dropped off promptly after the bookclub-that-made-me-read-classics dissolved.

- Nonfiction (YA or adult): (4) 5. The majority of these, however, were memoir-ish books. While I love these, I also really want to read more hard-facts informative nonfiction. You know, to be more smarts.

Some Highlights:


- The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood. Chilling. Relevant.


- A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend, Emily Horner. This is a sort of sad story that I read while I was feeling sad, and it made me Feel Things. Also started my streak of reading All the Lesbian Things at the beginning of the year, and it's still one of the best in that whole streak.


- The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Emily Danforth. I've vouched for this book so much that I feel people must be sick of it, most recently on AfterEllen, where it DID just win for Best Book in their 2012 Visibility Awards. I have a feeling it's soooo going to win a big youth award in the upcoming month, y'all.


- Beauty Queens, Libba Bray. Hilare and empowering.


- The Letter Q, edited by Sarah Moon. Queer youth. Hearts.


- The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri. An oldie (in relative contemporary fiction terms) that I finally got around to, and loved.


- New York: Life in the Big City, Will Eisner. So often surprisingly harsh, yet also often wonderful. A combination only appropriate for the place.


- Ask the Passengers, A.S. King. A.S. King = officially one of the best people on the planet.


- The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, Sherman Alexie. I've resolved to read all of Alexie's works, and just recently saw that he's part of Multnomah County's Everybody Reads project this year, so looks like I'll be reading Ten Little Indians soon.


- One in Every Crowd, Ivan Coyote. Can't really describe how much I loved this book, but I really, really, really did.


- The Difference Between You and Me, Madeleine George. Oh, the ache. And the kissing. And the hard, hard ache.


- Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?, Jeanette Winterson. It's sort of difficult to not be extremely affected by Winterson's words.


- Astray, Emma Donoghue. Such a wide-ranging array of stories, with a really fascinating impetus behind them. Although I'm still haunted by the rape-during-the-Revolutionary-War one. Must read more of Donoghue's work.


- The Last Nude, Ellis Avery. Oh, Paris in the 1920s. Oh, immigrants and class and art. Oh, women who are bad at loving.

There were lots of others that I could mention, if I didn't already probably mention too many. Per usual, I hardly read anything this year that I really disliked--well, aside from The Sound and the Fury. That shit was weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment