Sunday, March 3, 2013

5 Decemberists songs.

There will most definitely be a "5 Decemberists songs: Part II" at some point in the future. I'm shocked it's taken me this long to even make the first. Come at me with your intellectual feels, Colin Meloy!


1. The Engine Driver

Oh, my ennui. Christ. #1 and I'm already so crippled by emotion that I don't even know what to say. It's all about the bridge, isn't it? If I were Richard Hallmarq, I'd say, THIS BRIDGE IS EVERYTHING, HONEY.

And I am a writer, writer of fictions. I am the heart that you call home. And I've written pages upon pages trying to rid you from my bones.

Writing pages upon pages to rid someone from my bones? Why, I have never done that. Nope. Nope. Nopenopenope.


2. The Bus Mall

The Engine Driver leads seamlessly--seamlessly!--into The Bus Mall on Picaresque, and while The Bus Mall doesn't pack as powerful a punch as The Engine Driver--it's sort of a more atmospheric ride of feels, as opposed to a punch in all my cry places--I simply cannot include one without the other and it's almost unfair I have to take up two slots with them because they're both one mushed together tangle of perfection in my head. Also, it's a must because as perhaps the most Portlandy band of them all, this song feels the most Portlandy to me as it's about "the bus mall" in downtown, and you know how I am with emotions and songs and places, so.


3. The Crane Wife 1 & 2

Fuck. Fuck. Sorry for the cursing, Mom, but that's all I can think when it comes to the depths to which I love this, all eleven-plus minutes of it. ELEVEN PLUS MINUTES. The Decemberists could have produced NOTHING other than Crane Wife 1 & 2 and I would still think they were FOREVER GENIUSES. The quiet, but pressing anticipation of the first two minutes, until it explodes (well, in an extremely subtle, Decemberistsy way) at 2:25 and AHHHHH I AM SO HAPPY AND LOVE IT SO MUCH ALL THE WAY TO THE FIVE MINUTE MARK, and then it gets moody and broody and ominous even though it's the wedding part? And right so that lasts for a while, and thennnnnn there's a bend in the wind and it rakes at my heart. There is blood in the thread and it rakes at my heart. Rakes at my heart! Heeaaaaarrrrt!

Heeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaart!

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrt!

(brief musical interlude)

HEEAAARRRT! HEEEEEEAARRT! HEEEAAAARRRRRRRT!

Heeeeeaaarrrt! Heeeaaaarrrrrrt! 

Heeeearrrrrrrrt!

(I love you I love you I love you)



4. Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect

I mean, have you ever heard a better song title than "Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect"? No, no you haven't.

Also, remember that time Ted Mosby was feeling all womp womp about life when How I Met Your Mother was really good and they played this song and it was awesome because this song is awesome and also Ted Mosby was actually an architect and RIGHT?


5. The Wanting Comes in Waves / Repaid

Ah, the dark beast that is The Hazards of Love, a record which is entirely worth it if just FOR THIS. All right, well if "Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect" wasn't already the winner for best song title, "The Wanting Comes in Waves" is also pretty badass in its lyrical angst. But what makes this is the inclusion of vocalist Shara Worden who hoooooly crap gives me chills and grooves so deep into my blood. When she really screams reeeeppaaaaAAAIIIIID, it gives me the most Carrie Brownstein vibes I have ever heard since, like,  Carrie Brownstein. And that is one high compliment.

[ My previous 5 Songs posts, a series that really needs to be longer, for those who are new here:

No comments:

Post a Comment