Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Giorno Cinque: Una ricetta.

We'll be flying to my hometown for Thanksgiving this year, a holiday that I love deeply and that I actually can't remember the last time I was home for. I am real excited about it. At the same time, over the years when we've been away from family, we've started to develop our own holiday traditions, which I love equally. In particular, the last few years we've spent our Thanksgivings in Oregon in Eugene with our friends Kim and Cliff, and in honor of my mom's legendary pie tradition at home, I got into the habit of always bringing a couple of pies, one of which was always my mom's Chocolate Fudge Pie. Because why put things like fruit into a pie that might give you at least a smidgen of vitamins and nutrients when you could just have chocolate instead.

One of the only photos I could find that included the chocolate pie.
Kathy has long hair, as a sign of how many years I've made it.

So for day five of Blogember, which involves sharing a favorite recipe, since my mind is all wrapped up in the upcoming holidays, I figured I had to share the chocolate pie recipe. Kim and Cliff, feel free to make it if you miss us. (We'll miss you!)

Also, it is one of the most simple things to make in the world.

In a small pan, melt over low heat:

1/2 cup margarine or butter (one stick)
3 squares (1oz each) unsweetened chocolate [SIDE NOTE: The baker's chocolate we always get has now started packaging theirs in 1/2 oz squares, which I personally think is buuullshit because you get way less per package, I mean WHAT EVEN. But so with the new bullshit packaging you'll probably need six squares. Which are thinner and flimsier and hence break off more unevenly, like a crappy Hershey's bar. Ugh. Yeah, breaking off the 1oz squares was near impossible sometimes, but that added to the satisfaction of it somehow.]

Remove from heat. Stir in:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup Karo syrup
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt [I also feel the need to note that in my mother's recipe for this pie that she sent to me, TEASPOON is spelled out and capitalized because one time when I was a youth I made this pie with her and put 1/4 tablespoon salt in, and we ended up with chocolate salt pie, which was not as good. So, don't do that.]

Stir in:
3 eggs, slightly beaten

Pour into a 9 inch graham cracker crust, and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

My one tip for the pie, as I've made it several times at this point with varying results, is to not overbake it. You might keep sticking a knife in it and it'll keep coming up gooey, but if the top is set, take it out anyway. It'll thicken as it cools, and then it'll be nice and fudgy. It'll just be tougher otherwise, which is still good, because it will still be chocolate pie, but not quite as amazing.

Also, if you have more than one piece of this, you might feel like your stomach is suddenly made out of lead and you will want to die. But before that feeling, man, it is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment