Saturday, November 2, 2013

Giorno Due: Favorite Quote.

It's day two of Blogember, and I have decided to use the titles of these blog posts this month to help me practice my numbers in Italian! Because I am learning Italian and you would think knowing numbers would be a basic thing when learning a language, but I still don't really know them!

So, giorno DUE is a favorite quote. I love a good quote and always tell myself I should keep a quote journal, but instead I read a good quote and say, "That is a good quote!" and then it immediately erases itself from my head. So for this one, I'm going to pick one that I know is a bit overdone, but it is one that I still really like and that I can't ever forget because it's on my fridge.


"To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!" - Emerson
I like this because I feel like it pretty much sums up, like, everything. I didn't realize until I typed it up that it even includes the "false friends" part that I babbled all about yesterday. And I like that it sits on my fridge surrounded by things that affirm it: amazing family members laughing at our wedding, a flyer for our first black president from way back in 2008 (speaking to the "intelligent people" and "leaving the world better" part), among a whole bunch of other things. And while it's pretty self-congratulating as a whole, the "appreciation of honest critics" part is really important, and really hard. 

PLUS, this quote makes me feel that whenever I garden in my little gardening space, I am doing something REALLY MEANINGFUL AND IMPORTANT. So, whether Emerson said all this stuff or not, who cares, I still like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment