Friday, November 8, 2013

Giorno Otto: Time.

The prompt for Day Eight of Blogember is to write for five minutes about time, and because I am neither a physicist nor in the right mood to be philosophical, let's talk about what a great song "Time" by Hootie & the Blowfish is. Because RIGHT?


I will sometimes wake up and for no reason get this song stuck in my head and sing it as I'm eating my breakfast. Like, now, in 2013. I don't know why! But tomorrow's just another day, you know? And I don't believe in time.

Also, children killing in the street, dying for the color of a rag--I mean, there just aren't enough lyrics in pop songs about gangs these days. Even aside from that, everything about this song is perfect. The spare, dramatic opening, the super catchy chorus--TIME! TIME! TIME!--the sing along melodious quality in Darius Rucker's voice that allows me to remember all the words to this day even when I haven't actually sat down and LISTENED to this song for years. Until tonight, when I just looked it up on YouTube to embed in here. And listening to it, it totally stands up to my memory. Overly philosophical and a little morose while keeping a steady drum beat: pop music. Also, the classic '90s trick of ending a song by repeating the very first line. I miss that trick!

You ain't no friend of mine! He's just wasting! Wasting! Wasting time!

In other news, a future prompt this month for Blogember is to write about your first concert, and spoiler alert, mine was totally Hootie & the Blowfish, which means I will presumably be writing about Hootie & the Blowfish on my blog TWICE in one month. Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment