Monday, November 11, 2013

Giorno Undici: 3 (or 10) (or 15) Albums You'd Take to a Desert Island.

Okay, so I slacked off for the last two days of Blogember, because every streak has to end sometime. But there's no way I couldn't hop back on the bandwagon for today's prompt, because MUSIC. We're supposed to list three albums we'd take to a desert island, and after long, hard consideration, I have come to the conclusion that only picking three is impossible. Seriously. IM-POSS-I-BLE. 

So I'm going to narrow it down to 10, but only TALK ABOUT my top three. This is a decent compromise, right? RIGHT. I can do what I want! We eat what we like!

1. Simon & Garfunkel, Greatest Hits


Paul Simon will be the best songwriter of all time forever in my mind. I know every single word of this album and always will. I can listen to it happy or sad. Every song is perfect.

2. Fleetwood Mac, Dreams


Born out of passion and drugs, this will always be legendary to me. I never think of it as a collection of individual songs, even as much as The Chain stands out, or as songs from individual artists, as big as their personalities are and as much as I love Stevie. Anything from this album is a part of a greater whole; in my mind it's all just Rumours. The album is the thing.

3. Hanson, Middle of Nowhere


So this selection is obviously influenced by nostalgia (but most of these choices are), and I had a hard time deciding between MON or This Time Around, since I never can decide exactly which one hit me the hardest. But this will always remind me of a time in my life when I felt so much so acutely. And I still like all of these songs, even from a more adult and critical eye. This is a good album.

And the rest:

4. Radiohead, The Bends

5. Sleater Kinney, One Beat

6. Brandi Carlile, The Story

7. Pearl Jam, Ten

8. Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life

9. Counting Crows, August and Everything After

10. Florence and the Machine, Lungs

For the record, I still feel completely unsure about pretty much all of them. Ugh. This isn't fair.




Okay. I mean. If I HAD to choose more, I'd then probably go with:

11. The Beatles, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heartclub Band

12. Van Morrison, Moondance

13. Sarah McLachlan, Surfacing

14. Billy Joel, Greatest Hits 1973-1985

15. Coldplay, A Rush of Blood to the Head

Make fun of me for the Coldplay and Billy Joel; I don't care. And I'll stop now, and not mess with it anymore. But still, this is HARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment