Thursday, December 31, 2015

Best : December 2015.

Okay let's do this! I WILL get this done before 2015 finishes because that is definitely the most important thing to do on New Year's Eve!


December was the Month of Charcuterie. For our New Restaurant o' the Month, we visited Cheese and Crack off of SE 28th, and it was so damn good. And pretty. Very pretty. Inspired, we later bought a bunch of fancy cheeses and meats and chocolates and little pickles and stuff to make our own charcuterie for Christmas Eve. Herein we learned that when you assemble your own, there is no one to tell you when to stop and how to properly balance your small plates, and you will eat nothing BUT cheese and little pickles all night and then feel sick. But Cheese and Crack will not make you feel sick because they know what they're doing.



I'll be honest; December wasn't the best month. However, I DID read a lot of good books! The Walls Around Us is dark as hell, you guys, dark dark dark daaaark, and more than a little scary at times, but Nova Ren Suma just writes so damn well and creates that magical realism so, well, magically, that I enjoyed it a lot more than all the other dark "literary" YA I've read lately. Also, that cover! Gorgeous! Highly recommend.

I've also been reflecting lately about how I feel like I've been abandoning my middle school library at least mentally in comparison to the reading/work I've put into the high school this year so far. Did you know that trying to run two separate libraries is kind of a lot sometimes? Anyway, when I was asked to give some book talks this month at the middle school, I realized I hadn't read any new middle grade in a looong time. And even though The One and Only Ivan isn't new, I thought it would fit the reading level of the kids I was talking to well, and I should really be up on all those Newbery winners anyhoo, so I read it over a weekend and OMIGOD. Good middle grade fiction, man, it can just punch you in the gut. This one was based on a TRUE STORY of a silverback gorilla that was kept cooped up in a circus-themed MALL for over TWENTY YEARS. UGH. UGH. UGH. The book is told from the gorilla's point of view, and there are elephants, and a small dog, and a wise and compassionate little girl, and ugh. It killed me.

On a lighter note, let's talk about Felicious Day! She is just SO FREAKING LIKABLE, you know? And her book, You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) only confirmed that over and over. I mean, that title alone! How can you not like it! I do admit that I only knew of Day through the Whedonverse really, so I never watched The Guild and accordingly never REALLY knew the extent of her nerdiness, but man, it is DEEP. She's also able to be completely humble and human and enjoyably self-deprecating WHILE ALSO making clear that she is pretty much a genius who has worked freaking hard to accomplish the things she has. It was a thoroughly fun read and I think the book and Day herself are so inspiring for young people to have no shame about loving the things they love, and making amazing things happen because of that love. Also, because she is so golden and lovely and good, the chapter on #GamerGate will make you want to punch someone in the face. Actually, many people in the face. But I'm sure it wasn't easy for her to write or include, and I'm very glad she did.

Finally, March Book Two knocked me on my feet even more than the first volume of this non-fiction graphic novel series. I personally found the interweaving of the tumultuous 1960s time period events with John Lewis's attendance at Barack Obama's inauguration moving, even though I kept thinking it would be a turnoff for all the students who I know have been raised to hate Obama. And then I started thinking about how sad it is that so many children have been raised to hate Obama, and it's a whole 'nother spiral, but anyway. If I could make young people read ONE THING next year, it would be March. Just so well done.



Right, so I am not the biggest Star Wars aficionado in the world, but I do love witnessing other people loving something real hard! And the anticipation and excitement of our movie theater crowd when that logo came up and that magnificent John Williams score burst into our eardrums again! So great. I enjoyed the shit out of this movie. BB-8 and Rey! I love you!



When I scrolled through my Camera Roll to refresh my brain parts about what I actually did this month, I realized (as I normally do) that even though there were crappy parts of this month, there was also a lot of good things. One particularly good night was Kathy's work Christmas party. These parties are notorious for being hot drunken messes, and over the years I've learned that that mess can be a GOOD hot mess, but it can also be a baaad one. But good news is that this year's was good! One of the most epic White Elephants that was ever elephanted. For real.



For our friend Arielle's birthday, we went to a pottery-painting place, which I had never done before. And as happens sometimes with things you've never done before, I was sort of like "eh, sure" beforehand, but then once we got there, I was immediately like THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER. I also got sort of Surprise Drunk in the middle of the day, so, that could have also contributed to the enjoyment. Either way, would go back, four stars.


This week our friends Becky & Nick let me borrow their perfect dog Mixie and we went on a hike at Cape Falcon on the coast, part of Oswald West State Park. I should note that I wasn't planning on going to Cape Falcon, or even the coast at all; there were two separate hikes on the way that I had researched but I couldn't find the effing trailheads even though they're supposed to be RIGHT OFF THE HIGHWAY. Anyway, Cape Falcon was well signed so eventually I said SCREW IT MIXIE GIRL, LET'S GO HERE. And it must've been fate because this was one of the best damn hikes I've ever gone on. I'm hoping to write about it in full on my dorky hiking blog soon. I'm actually hoping to write in my dorky hiking blog a whole lot in the upcoming year because I'm prepping for possibly hiking the Oregon portion of the PCT next summer and I have some hiking muscles to hone like whoa. Did I mention that Mixie is a perfect dog?


Even though we haven't been able to spend Christmas with our families on the East Coast in a long time, I love Christmas in Portland, too. I love Peacock Lane and the large but random assortment of Christmas decorations we throw all over our little apartment. I love anxiously waiting for packages full of presents from our loved ones scattered across the country. I love opening one stocking gift and one real gift Christmas Eve. I love Kathy making breakfast Christmas morning. I love making Christmas cookies and I love Christmas songs and watching the same damn Christmas movies over and over again each year. I love Christmas and I love New Year's Eve, too. I love reflecting on the year gone by and planning and scheming for the year ahead. 

I know holidays aren't always happy for everyone, but I hope yours were as happy as they could be. Happy 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment