Thursday, December 31, 2015

Best : November 2015.

Well, on the upside, I updated this blog in 2015 more than I did in 2014--by a few more measly posts! Heck yeah, pathetic to slightly-less-pathetic! And this Best series was fun for me and helped me remember a lot of cool stuff. On the downside, I was TOTALLY POSITIVE that I had hit up the best of every month of this delicious year but in reviewing the facts today, I have discovered that I TOTALLY LEFT OUT March and April. Huh. Which is too bad, because who the hell knows what I did then? Those months are FOREVER ago. 

However, I am committed to starting 2016 fresh and clean clean, and closing up shop on the Best series for 2015 RIGHT NOW. So bam, November and soon December, here we GO go go go goooo--



For the last few months of the year, I've been trying to cram in as much reading from two book lists as possible--one, Young Readers' Choice Award (YRCA) nominees for this year, as I promote them at school, and two, Mock Printz 2016 nominees for an uber-nerdy library workshop I'm attending in January. Basically, one is full of books that teens thought were good over the last few years, and the other is full of books that adults thought were good this year.

Guess what?

The books teens thought were better are SO MUCH MORE FUN, KIDS.

In fact, most of the Mock Printz ones I've read so far have been so gloomy and tedious that I'm almost starting to be mad bout it. But it's okay; the YRCA ones are making up for it, and one of my faves so far is Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza, nominated in the Intermediate (7th - 9th grades) division. It's about a teen female android! Who doesn't know she's an android for the first like six chapters! (This is not much of a spoiler because the plot is outlined on the back cover.) I mean come on, that's fun.

The Port Chicago 50 is wayyy different in that 1) it's non-fiction and 2) it's not very fun at all. Well, it's fun in that it's a really fascinating and incredibly readable piece of youth non-fiction, as is all of Sheinkin's fantastic work, but not-fun in that it's about a grave injustice in our nation's history that still hasn't been totally rectified and that I previously knew NADA, ZILCH, NOTHIN' about. It tells the tale of African-American soldiers in the World War II-era segregated Navy, working at a port near San Francisco called (confusingly, imo) Port Chicago. You see, at the time, we allowed black folk to risk their lives by loading bombs onto ships (with absolutely no training), but we didn't trust them to actually, like, take a step onto a ship, or fight the enemy, or whatever other little things they ACTUALLY wanted to do. So then when, unsurprisingly, one of those freight ships full of bombs blew up in Port Chicago and killed a whole bunch of people, the black soldiers started saying oookayyy now, let's cut this out and STOP loading bombs onto ships without proper training, or at least give us the option of doing other things to help with the war effort because, you know, racism sucks. And the United States said nahhh, we'd rather charge you with mutiny! Good times. Not really, but a good read.



I've always liked Aziz Ansari, but after watching his greatest achievement to date, Master of None, I LOVE him. This show is just so good. It feels authentic and real without being pretentious or tortured; it is HILARIOUS while also being downright sweet at times and almost always touching somehow. His parents are AMAAAAZING in it and I am obsessed with Dev's friends Denise and Arnold. It also deserves all the awards for the Dudes Walking Home From a Bar v. Girl Walking Home From a Bar scene. Just watch it and you'll know the one. Aziz gets it, you guys.



After feeling perfectly neutral about a lot of music this year, some tunes popped up into my atmosphere this fall that are all pretty different but are all my JAMS, son.

S.O.B. by Daniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats (hahaaa, what a gross/great band name): Ugh, OK, so local radio has already started overplaying the shit out of this song so its magic has started wearing away for me, but the first few times I heard it! Hot damn! The chorus is just him yelling SON OF A BITCH and GET ME A DRINK! And it's all very gospel-folks-y complete with hand claps and background mmm-mmms and ohhhs that are just spot on with his gravelly voice. My wheelhouse completely.

Downtown by Macklemore: So this whole song is pretty aight, but what I really just LIVE for is the chorus where the singer just let this line RIP: "Have you ever felt the warm embrace of a leather seat between your LEEEEEGGGSSS" and it is just SO SEXY AND FIERCE. And up until this moment I always, stereotypically, pictured a fab black woman singing those lines. So I just went to look it up so I could give that fab black woman proper credit here, and I discovered that that fab black woman is actually...uh, a white dude. Named Eric Nally. So, boys and girls, this is what happens when you assume! AND when you are a victim of a gender binary society that taints your brain!

The Things I Regret by Brandi Carlile: Brandi's latest album, The Firewatcher's Daughter, contains so much joy and energy and kick-ass-ed-ness that her previous, more sorrowful releases were sorely lacking. Her latest single from it, The Things I Regret, is one of my faves, particularly because of the way it ends! LIKE A HOLY ROLLING STONE!!! - CUTTTTTTT, BOOM, MIC DROP, SO GOOOOOOD. 

WTF by Missy Elliott: I must admit that other than her huge '90s singles I don't know much about Missy. When hipper people my age were listening to her in her heyday, I was mainly listening to, you know, Simon and Garfunkel. And Hanson. But I am more than willing to start my education now because each time I listen to WTF I like it more. That beat! If this doesn't make you want to dance, well, I'm sorry for you.

I should note that one of my other normal favorite things to talk about each month is favorite food, but I think I just ate like shit all November (other than Thanksgiving, which I'll get to in a sec, but that counts as a whole separate thing, obvs), and life is too short to really comb through my memories for one decent meal to share. So we'll skip it and just start the Best Things of November 2015.


We got to see Carrie Brownstein do a reading/interview/talk thing on her promotional book tour for Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl and originally Tig Notaro was supposed to be her interviewer, but at the last second she couldn't make it so instead Janet and Corin were there. Because OF COURSE. It almost felt like this was inevitably going to happen always. We learned that Carrie has a very large and impressively nerdy vocabulary and that Janet is hilarious and sort of rambly and Corin is very Corin. It was a way too brief event but also felt like a once-in-a-lifetime thing. It was also very, very Portland-y. I still haven't actually sat down to read Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl but I already know it is going to make feel a lot of feelings.


Kathy and I took a super quick but super great day trip to Seattle one weekend to see Sam (who I still refer to as Sam M., even though she's technically Sam L. now) who was in town for a conference, and then a "quick" visit to Kelly and Ash's, which Kathy was originally convinced we could make last only 20 minutes so we wouldn't get home too late, hahaha. Late arrival at home = worth it. God, Seattle, and all of the people I mentioned in this paragraph, are the best.



Food! Food! Fire! Food! While we normally spend Friendsgiving in Eugene at Kim and Cliff's, for multiple reasons this year we opted out and had a Kathy-Manda-Jill-sgiving at home instead. And if you're wondering just how much food the three of us can whip together for, you know, just us three, well, it is a lot. Thanksgiving also commenced Kathy's Obsessed With Fire period, an affliction which is still ongoing, but does make the apartment rather cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment